[Linuxsampler-devel] [linuxsampler-devel] cannot open qsampler: cannot find libgig.so.7
Andrew C
2017-07-21 23:52:21 UTC
I'm not sure if Rui follows this mailing list or not?

Getting an error with Qsampler having built it from the latest svn:
qsampler: error while loading shared libraries: libgig.so.7: cannot open

On a related note, there are a few 'bugs'/nice-to-haves i've encountered
with Fantasia, but I wouldn't expect Christian to get his hands full of
Java, either (and i've read gregor iliev hasn't been seen in a while)!
(Anyone wanna code a GTK front-end? J/K :D )

Andrew.
Christian Schoenebeck
2017-07-23 15:00:03 UTC
Post by Andrew C
I'm not sure if Rui follows this mailing list or not?
qsampler: error while loading shared libraries: libgig.so.7: cannot open
That probably does not have anything to do with QSampler. This is a common
error, which in most cases is caused by remains of old libgig installations:

http://bb.linuxsampler.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=264

So get rid of all remains of old libgig versions on your system then recompile
QSampler.
Post by Andrew C
On a related note, there are a few 'bugs'/nice-to-haves i've encountered
with Fantasia, but I wouldn't expect Christian to get his hands full of
Java, either (and i've read gregor iliev hasn't been seen in a while)!
(Anyone wanna code a GTK front-end? J/K :D )
Exactly: No, thanks! For both suggestions. :)

BTW, personally I would not pick GTK for any new projects anymore. There are
so many issues with GTK you have to deal with just for achieving very simple
tasks, it is not documented at all, and sometimes I have the feeling as if I
were one of like 5 people still developing with GTK. For example in contrast
to other toolkits, when I google for a certain GTK issue, I either get links
to auto generated GTK API docs, or links to the gigedit svn sources. You get
the point.

So in short: Developing on top of gtk(mm) requires much more development time
than with other toolkits / APIs. And for your app to behave correctly, you
should probably even branch your own version of the GTK libs for the project.

CU
Christian