[Linuxsampler-devel] gig file integrity checks
Christian Schoenebeck
2016-09-21 12:30:40 UTC

yesterday I realized that our sample integrity implementation for gig files
was never really working. The gig format always used CRC32 checksums to be
able to detect if sample data had been damaged or been modified unintenionally
for some reason. Unfortunately the respective checksum table was always
damaged or completely lost whenever the file structure of the respective gig
file was changed by libgig, which happens quite easily even on minor changes
with gigedit for example.

This problem should now be fixed with libgig 4.0.0.svn8. I added two new
options to the command line tool "gigdump" (coming with libgig), which allows
you to check whether your gig files are affected:

gigdump --verify foo.gig

and

gigdump --rebuild-checksums foo.gig

Please refer to "man gigdump" for more detailed descriptions about those new
options. "--verify" will tell you both, whether samples were damaged, as well
as whether the checksum table itself was damaged.

In case you still encounter damaged checksum tables after updating to
libgig 4.0.0.svn8, please let me know!

CU
Christian