[Linuxsampler-devel] [linuxsampler-devel] QOL gigedit features?
Andrew C
2017-07-19 08:04:40 UTC
Hello all,

I was thinking of a few QOL features for gigedit:

1. Multiple region selection (ctrl click for individual regions. shift
click for 'from currently selected region to target region selection)

2. Move/delete selected regions via keyboard (ctrl+delete to delete, drag
the regions around with the mouse?)

3. Shift click to select multiple instruments in the 'instruments' tab and
using 'delete' to remove them all at once. I realise you can also ctrl
click each instrument and then select 'remove' from the instrument menu, so
I guess this is a shortcut :-)

Andrew.
Christian Schoenebeck
2017-07-19 12:55:29 UTC
Post by Andrew C
Hello all,
1. Multiple region selection (ctrl click for individual regions. shift
click for 'from currently selected region to target region selection)
I have that on my TODO list for quite a while, but had no time for it yet.
Because it actually requires a bunch of changes all over the gigedit code
base.
Post by Andrew C
2. Move/delete selected regions via keyboard (ctrl+delete to delete, drag
the regions around with the mouse?)
Moving one region by mouse is already implemented.

For deleting and moving by keyboard shortcut: we will see. I started to use as
a general keyboard shortcut pattern the Alt key for actions on dimension
region level, and the Ctrl key instead for actions on region level.

For example you can already navigate among regions with Ctrl + arrow
left/right.

Likewise you can navigate among dimension region zones with Alt + arrow
up/down/left/right. And you can even select multiple dimension region zones by
using Alt + Shift + arrow up/down/left/right.
Post by Andrew C
3. Shift click to select multiple instruments in the 'instruments' tab and
using 'delete' to remove them all at once. I realise you can also ctrl
click each instrument and then select 'remove' from the instrument menu, so
I guess this is a shortcut :-)
Well, that is one of the oddities of Gtk I had to fight with. To delete
multiple consecutive instruments simultaneously first select the first
instrument in the list view, then press and hold shift, and then the trick:
click right by mouse, not left! Then select "Remove" from the popup menu.

The problem is if you click left first, and then try right click, the multi
selection is cleared. I know that behavior is a bit strange, but I remember I
tried find a workaround for this behavior clash on Gtk level, but it did not
work. So I was pragmatic and aborted my attempts on fixing that at that point,
because the described right click trick does it for now.

CU
Christian