[Linuxsampler-devel] [linuxsampler-devel] "Cannot load file: Unknown leverage controller type"
Andrew C
2017-05-21 11:22:50 UTC
I cannot load the Eb Clarinet long notes giga file from Westgate Studios
into Linuxsampler.

I get the error "Cannot load file: Unknown leverage controller type".

Now the gig file, according to its manual, has some fancy imidi/GigaStudio
specific scripting for Legato which I thought I could see if I could get
working with gigedit... But this error appeared.

There are also .gsi files inside the directory relating to Legato, but I
don't think they're supported by linuxsampler at this time?

Andrew.
Christian Schoenebeck
2017-05-21 13:16:42 UTC
Post by Andrew C
I cannot load the Eb Clarinet long notes giga file from Westgate Studios
into Linuxsampler.
I get the error "Cannot load file: Unknown leverage controller type".
Chances that the file might be corrupt? I.e. was it on a unreliable media for
a long time or something? Because libgig should support all known leverage
controllers of up to the latest version of GigaStudio, and you know there was
no new GigaStudio version for many years now.

I just committed a change to libgig which will show the precise leverage
controller number when this exception is thrown. So please update libgig to
latest SVN and recompile, then the exception should look something like this:

RIFF::Exception: Unknown leverage controller type (0xfc).
Post by Andrew C
Now the gig file, according to its manual, has some fancy imidi/GigaStudio
specific scripting for Legato which I thought I could see if I could get
working with gigedit... But this error appeared.
These are Tascam's so called "Legato Rules", which are supported by libgig and
gigedit, but ATM they are not supported by LinuxSampler. So you can load those
sounds with the sampler, but the legato rules will be ignored by the sampler
engine ATM. The MIDI control trigger rules are supported by the sampler though
BTW.

Actually I wanted to implement the legato rules for the sampler, but when I
looked at it I thought this is far too limited. Just open such a gig file with
gigedit and open the "MIDI Rules" editor for that and you might get an idea
about it. Basically what it does is defining a small set of samples which
shall be played for resembling legato behavior from one certain key to
another. So the sound designer had to bundle a separate audio sample for the
individual possibilities of tone transitions. And there two problems: the
total amount of samples was very limited (I can't remember how many, about
24?, Andreas might tell you though) and you could not customize anything on
that legato behavior for your sounds.

So the legato rules are *not* scripting. Due to all those limitations found, I
rather decided starting to implement the real-time instrument script feature
instead. With that new scripting feature you can do everything those iMIDI
rules could do, but also much more than that.
Post by Andrew C
There are also .gsi files inside the directory relating to Legato, but I
don't think they're supported by linuxsampler at this time?
They are not supported, and right now I can't even remember which extension
was for what. I think this one was for defining a stack of instrument
combinations. There was also a file for saving impulse response samples for
GigaPulse, I think those were .gsp files, but we are not supporting them
either.

Andreas might tell you more about the unsupported GSt file types.

CU
Christian
Andrew C
2017-05-21 13:40:20 UTC
Drive/WS_MS_BbClarinet_GS3/Clarinet (Bb)_Long
Notes_Legato_Glissando.gig',1)...gig::Engine error: Failed to load
instrument, cause: Unknown leverage controller type (0x2).

Is what I get back. :\

This was actually a fresh download from Big Fish Audio, the site I bought
it from, and all the other included gig files load and work fine except for
this file.

Andrew C
2017-05-21 20:25:48 UTC
I also tried opening the offending file in Translator 6 Free. It opened
fine and I could see all the programs and preview all the wav samples
inside, so I'm certain the file is not corrupted at least.

I also came across this thread and I see that leverage controller 0x2 isn't
listed there. Seems like it's a bug/glitch that LS is having... :S

https://bb.linuxsampler.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=376

Andrew.
Christian Schoenebeck
2017-05-22 11:48:01 UTC
Post by Andrew C
I also tried opening the offending file in Translator 6 Free. It opened
fine and I could see all the programs and preview all the wav samples
inside, so I'm certain the file is not corrupted at least.
Does it show you parameters? If yes, which controllers does it show for those
3 leverage controllers (EG1 Controller, EG2 Controller, Attenuation
Controller)?
Post by Andrew C
I also came across this thread and I see that leverage controller 0x2 isn't
listed there. Seems like it's a bug/glitch that LS is having... :S
Well, maybe we missed out that a new one was added with GSt4 or something. We
will see.

CU
Christian
Andrew C
2017-05-22 18:22:07 UTC
Sadly I can't see the parameters for the specific gig file.

Probably not much help here either, but the 'date modified' for these files
is May/June 2007, a year or so before GSt4 was released. :\

Andreas Persson
2017-05-22 18:47:05 UTC
Post by Andrew C
Sadly I can't see the parameters for the specific gig file.
Probably not much help here either, but the 'date modified' for these
files is May/June 2007, a year or so before GSt4 was released. :\
Hi,

I have also seen gig files with unknown "leverage controller" values. In
my case it was 4. If I open a gig where I've put 2 as value for the
Envelope 1 Modulation Source in GigaStudio Instument Editor (v3, I don't
have v4), it just shows "None" in that field. Same with value 4.

/Andreas
Christian Schoenebeck
2017-05-23 14:58:10 UTC
Post by Andreas Persson
Post by Andrew C
Sadly I can't see the parameters for the specific gig file.
Probably not much help here either, but the 'date modified' for these
files is May/June 2007, a year or so before GSt4 was released. :\
Hi,
I have also seen gig files with unknown "leverage controller" values. In
my case it was 4. If I open a gig where I've put 2 as value for the
Envelope 1 Modulation Source in GigaStudio Instument Editor (v3, I don't
have v4), it just shows "None" in that field. Same with value 4.
Ok, thanks Andreas for the clarification!

I just committed an appropriate change to libgig: it now simply ignores
invalid leverage controller types, prints a warning on the console instead,
and sets the respective controller to "none".

CU
Christian
Andrew C
2017-05-23 21:06:46 UTC
Fantastic, the gig file opens and I can play the instruments.

Getting some issues with the SmartMidi dimension Legato/Glissando
instruments though. I'll create a new thread for this, but they seem
complex as hell and I'm not sure if from a development POV they're worth
supporting fully when kontakt scripting is available in-editor?

Thanks for all the help with this, guys.

On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 3:58 PM, Christian Schoenebeck <