[Linuxsampler-devel] import instruments from directory broken?
Andrew Dabrowski
2017-01-10 18:41:10 UTC
I'm brand new to linuxsampler and was disappointed to find that the
import-from-directory function for instruments doesn't seem to work. Is
this a known issue? Is there a workaround?
Christian Schoenebeck
2017-01-11 12:15:29 UTC
Post by Andrew Dabrowski
I'm brand new to linuxsampler and was disappointed to find that the
import-from-directory function for instruments doesn't seem to work. Is
this a known issue? Is there a workaround?
What exactly are you talking about? Do you mean the instruments DB? And what
are you using for that attempt, Fantasia? Command line?

CU
Christian
Andrew Dabrowski
2017-01-12 03:30:15 UTC
Yes, import-from-dir into the instruments db. I tried doing it both
through jsampler and by telneting and using the command line. Neither
produced any error but neither added any instruments into the db.
Andrew Dabrowski
2017-01-12 03:32:27 UTC
Yes, I think that's the same bug, thanks for the clue. I'll get the
source code and try the fix suggested.
Hi Andrew,
is that the same issue that I posted in the linuxsampler forum
http://bb.linuxsampler.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3352&sid=94125c1e809888e5e4f69de90040fc07
There is a fix for it in the reply dated 16.10.2016 16:36
int res = sqlite3_bind_text(pStmt, Index, Text.c_str(), -1,
SQLITE_TRANSIENT);
It was acknowledged to be the proper fix. Wonder that it hasn't made
it into the code yet.
Regards
Post by Andrew Dabrowski
I'm brand new to linuxsampler and was disappointed to find that the
import-from-directory function for instruments doesn't seem to work.
Is this a known issue? Is there a workaround?
Robert Schneider
Am Rebhuhnfeld 6
85241 Ampermoching
Fon: +49 8139 92850
Mobile: +49 176 3892 7669
Andrew Dabrowski
2017-01-12 03:52:54 UTC
OK, I'm on Arch linux and I just replaced linuxsampler by linuxsampler-svn.

I see that that the suggested fix is in the svn code already.

But I still have the same problem, whether I use jsampler or the command
line I can't get linuxsampler to add anything to the instruments db.
Mobile: +49 176 3892 7669
Christian Schoenebeck
2017-01-12 10:47:12 UTC
Post by Andrew Dabrowski
OK, I'm on Arch linux and I just replaced linuxsampler by linuxsampler-svn.
I see that that the suggested fix is in the svn code already.
But I still have the same problem, whether I use jsampler or the command
line I can't get linuxsampler to add anything to the instruments db.
The mentioned instruments DB fix which is already applied to the SVN version,
addressed undefined behavior when accessing the instruments data base. That
bug caused things like corrupt database and crashes.

However I guess your issue is something else: you are trying to scan a
directory with sfz files, right?

CU
Christian
Andrew Dabrowski
2017-01-12 18:30:21 UTC
Bingo, sfz files. They're a problem? I thought linuxsampler had
advanced support for that format.

I hope I won't have to import the entire Virtual-Playing-Orchestra one
file at a time.
Christian Schoenebeck
2017-01-12 19:12:12 UTC
Post by Andrew Dabrowski
Bingo, sfz files. They're a problem? I thought linuxsampler had
advanced support for that format.
Yeah, it's actually quite simple: sfz files are currently completely ignored
by the instruments DB. :)

Grigor originally wrote most of the instruments DB and the sfz engine. So I
don't know why he did not add support for scanning sfz files as well for the
instruments DB. One reason might be that sfz does not have any way to provide
meta information (instrument type, genre, author, engineer, copyright,
keywords, etc.) in contrast to other formats like Giga, DLS, ...

When I find some time, I can add the missing scanner code for sfz files to the
instruments DB feature. It just needs couple lines of code as far as I can see
it right now.

CU
Christian
Christian Schoenebeck
2017-01-16 23:20:15 UTC
Post by Christian Schoenebeck
When I find some time, I can add the missing scanner code for sfz files to
the instruments DB feature. It just needs couple lines of code as far as I
can see it right now.
Hmm, those original "couple lines" propagated like rabbits, but it is finally
done. Latest SVN version of LinuxSampler supports scanning .sfz and .sf2 files
out of the box.

Give it a try!

CU
Christian
l***@aramar.de
2017-01-21 15:53:54 UTC

I tried to import SFZ, GIG and SF2 with the newest build but always get errors.
Are there any known limitations as to what can be imported and what can not. Has
anybody already successfully imported a significant amount of SFZ, SF2 or GIG?

Regards,

Robert
Email ***@aramar.de
Christian Schoenebeck
2017-01-21 16:46:03 UTC
Post by l***@aramar.de
I tried to import SFZ, GIG and SF2 with the newest build but always get
errors. Are there any known limitations as to what can be imported and what
can not. Has anybody already successfully imported a significant amount of
SFZ, SF2 or GIG?
The instruments DB feature was orphaned for quite a while. Accordingly there
might still be bugs to fix. The only way to resolve this, is at least to
describe and demonstrate the precise issues you encountered, or even better:
providing a patch for fixing the problem.

CU
Christian